In Phil's lesson on friday he suggested that I made some thumbnail sketches of how I would like the composition of my painting to be. the top set of thumbnails are some examples drawn by Phil as a guide.
I then drew some more at home and liked the larger new pose I wanted to scan it in and do some editing in photoshop.
I opened a new layer and started to sketch out some changes in red.
I then hid the initial layer to see just the red progress.
Changing back and forth the visibility of the original layer to keep the basic idea.
I was trying to draw a sense of depth by using a table and the hand and feet coming towards the viewer.
I decided this way wasn't working for me so I opened a new layer and re-drew part of the image.
Here the head was too low and wasn't showing the neck at all so I re-drew this also.
Here the head is tilting slightly and the shoulders and fat are giving the impression of one side lifting (the arm reaching).
I refined these points a bit more then started re-drawing the other leg back in.
I added hair in a new layer to give it some features.
Here I noticed the toes on this foot were shorter than the other so I marked in some new position indicators.
Then I drew them to the markers.
I copied and pasted all of these layers into a new page.
Then these layers had to be positioned on the page.
When I had decided on the final position I selected all of the layers, then merged them so I could erase all of the messy sketch lines.
I wanted to see what this drawing would look like on a black background so I filled a new layer with black and arranged it behind everything. Here it shows white patches. This is from the original photoshop sketch-out where I painted over some lines in white instead of using the eraser so it wouldn't show the lines in the layer below.
These white patches are now erased. The ones inside the drawing don't need to be removed.
I then removed the black layer to continue editing.
Here the image has been made into black and white so I can work into it differently.
I tried out adding some loose shadow.
And some more.
Then adding some tone into the metamorphosis.
and some more.
then some white highlights to remove some of the sketchy lines.
And here I took a screen capture of it on a black background to sum up the progress of this post.
There will be more to come soon.